Michael Nugent Ltd leading MEP Contractors are delighted to have been involved in the outstanding PwC project
On behalf of Main Contractor Gilbert Ash Michael Nugent Ltd provided the Mechanical & Electrical services for the Cat B fit-out throughout the 9 floors at PwC, Belfast.
The £70m state-of-the-art Grade A office development provides mixed use accommodation and 6 retail units. With capacity for over 3,000 people the collaborative space for learning and emerging skills is significant.
The project was not without its challenges, the project was started and completed during the global. This presented two major challenges, the health and welfare of our employees direct and indirect, also the procurement of the required materials/ equipment. Continual communication was required to ensure all employees where aware of current covid restrictions and site management plans to be followed to ensure that our work forces remained safe. Additional management was also required to ensure compliance. To avoid anticipated issues with global logistics and the fact that the delivery of equipment and materials to site was critical to the success of the project we worked with our supply chain and implemented a strategy of early procurement and local storage to ensure the project was not delayed.
Contracts Director, Brendan Gildernew said, “We have a long-standing relationship with Gilbert Ash which we look forward to continue to develop through delivering ground breaking projects. The project team from Gilbert Ash were first class, as always”.
Michael Nugent Ltd provided many MEP works across the 9 floors at PwC. Some of our innovative sources included;
- Casambi Bluetooth, wireless mesh network lighting control system. This system uses state of the art wireless technology to give the end user full functional control of every light in the building from a tablet or phone. The Casambi app allows the user to set timing zones, lighting levels and colours to create the desired environment for each area. On top of Bluetooth Low Energy, the Casambi technology provides a mesh network where all the intelligence of the system is replicated in every node and, in such a way, creates a system with no single points of failure.
- Extensive UPS system which provides uninterruptable power supply to all critical server rooms as well as door access throughout the building with 120KVA with 30min battery autonomy.
- Underfloor busbar network allowing for flexibility in the use of space which ensures electrical services are easily amended to allow for changes in the clients end user requirements.
- The electrical loads in the building are individually metered. This data can be used to monitor the buildings performance, run diagnostics to pinpoint and eradicate inefficiencies.
- The Air Conditioning base build Daikin VRF systems were extended and modified in line with the PwC fit out design. In addition, all new Daikin DX Critical cooling systems were installed within the data rooms on each floor.
- As part of the ventilation fitout we installed an energy efficient Polar Energy System which provided heating to the kitchen areas via a new supply Air Handling Unit.
- The base build iBMS system was extended to incorporate the new M&E systems installed during the fit out. The fully programmed iBMS system was set to work throughout the building in line with a strategy agreed with the end user to meet their individual needs. This gives the client in depth control of the buildings systems and allows for efficient usage of required systems to reduce/limit energy consumption.
Mechanical Contracts Manager, Eamon Holland said, “PwC has been a fantastic project to be involved in. The project is a huge credit to all involved. Being the first privately built commercial building in NI to receive ‘Excellent’ status by BREEAM UK speaks for itself”.
Images copyright of Michael Nugent Ltd
For more information on the project check out our > Project Profile
If becoming a part of Michael Nugent Ltd’s team interests you, we have multiple career opportunities! For more information on our positions available check out the MNL careers portal > Careers